This month is the perfect time to get involved with volunteering. There are so many needs near home, and new opportunities are available weekly. Usually, the hardest part is just getting started. After that, you won’t want to stop!
The best way to begin volunteering is to focus on finding a good fit for you. Is there a cause that is important to you, or a certain day or time you are free? Maybe you want to have a specific group of people involved? JustServe works with nonprofits and local charities — across the Atlanta area, and the world! — to make sure needs are listed on justserve.org, making it easier for volunteers to get involved. There are so many opportunities to choose from; here are some great examples to help you find your best fit.
- Families — Volunteer in the Keep Families Together Resource Center in Kennesaw. Children are welcome! https://bit.ly/3kzcDpj
- Crafters — Join the Northside Hospital Foundation in crocheting blankets and graduation hats for babies in intensive care. https://bit.ly/3IFsFWB
- Outdoor Lovers — Help prevent water pollution by marking storm drains in Cobb County. https://bit.ly/3IKD2bs
- Homebodies — Become a Smithsonian digital volunteer, and help make historical documents and biodiversity data more accessible. https://bit.ly/3J4eH1I
- Performers — Share your talents, such as sewing, legacy projects, participating in programs and more, with someone in hospice. https://bit.ly/3KOzVly
- Drivers — Deliver meals to seniors with MUST Ministries. https://bit.ly/3Zxu5Jp
- Cooks — Make dinner for the Ronald McDonald House near Scottish Rite Hospital. https://bit.ly/3mkeajq
- Linguists — Become a Spanish translator for MUST Ministries in Canton. https://bit.ly/3kHxK8O
- Readers — Donate books for children to Cobb Collaborative. https://bit.ly/3IJ8gzZ
- Pet Lovers — Help out at Mostly Mutts in Kennesaw. https://bit.ly/3ZArUVo
Be sure to check out these great opportunities — and more! — on the JustServe website. Or, for additional ideas, join the JustServe Georgia Volunteers public Facebook group. Celebrate National Volunteer Month with simple acts of service!
Justserve.org is a free, nationwide website and app that works to match volunteers with nonprofit organizations and service opportunities. If you run a nonprofit, or are looking for ways to make service a regular part of your life, check out justserve.org. You can sign up for regular updates and learn more about organizations nearby, too. JustServe makes it easy to just go out and serve!
– Susannah MacKay is a local JustServe specialist. She grew up in Marietta and loves helping strengthen her community through service! Follow her on Facebook @JustServeGeorgia.
Leave a Reply