Superior Flight School Offers a Path for Future Aviators
Superior Flight School (SFS) at the Cobb County International Airport in Kennesaw offers collegiate and noncollegiate routes to a career in aviation as a qualified pilot.
The school partners with Liberty and Purdue universities, offering instruction for students pursuing degrees in aeronautics. And, thanks to recent Veterans Affairs (VA) approval, veterans can apply for the noncollegiate route, using their eligible benefits
to help with costs.
If all the possibilities sound appealing, but you aren’t quite sure, you can take an hourlong discovery flight with an instructor at a discounted rate to see if flying is for you.
“Atlanta is home to the world’s busiest airport and the main hub for Delta Air Lines. The Atlanta area is a great place to begin flight training and pursue a career in aviation,” Campus Director Kat Guarnieri said.
Superior Flight School opened its doors originally in September 2001 and was acquired by Phoenix East Aviation in 2018. Since the acquisition, Superior gained its 141 certification, collegiate partnerships and Veteran Affairs approval.
Flight School 101
SFS is a Part 61- and Part 141-approved school that offers in-house examination, allowing students to complete a majority of Part 141 checkrides at the school, instead of the usual process of traveling to an examiner.
- The Part 61 program offers a more flexible timeline. You are able to skip around on what you are learning with more flexibility. This option may be for someone who has a busy personal schedule and cannot commit guaranteed time. The ground school also is self-study.
- Colleges use the Part 141 program, which is a lesson-based structured curriculum. You will complete lessons chronologically, with frequent end-of-stage checks to evaluate progress. This program is designed to be accelerated. The ground school on this option must be done with your instructor on campus.
- It is one of the few schools in the U.S. that offers a condensed commercial course that allows students to finish their commercial license in about 50 hours, compared with the traditional 120 hours.
- Collegiate and noncollegiate routes are open to pursue a career in aviation as a qualified pilot. For our collegiate routes, SFS partners with Liberty and Purdue universities to offer training for private, instrument, commercial, multi-engine and all of the instructor pilot certificates and ratings.
- In addition to the universities, SFS is a partner with Republic Airways and United Airlines Aviate.
- Superior partners with Sallie Mae and Meritize to help students afford classes and achieve their goals.
- The school was voted Best of Georgia Flight School for 2021 and 2022 in the Georgia Business Journal Best of Georgia.
While most students train with intentions of going to the airlines, there are many other job opportunities for them.
“One of our alumni students has had an interesting journey. Alexis started at Superior as a student pilot. She then became a dispatcher for the school, while continuing to work on her flight training,” Guarnieri said.
“Once she became qualified and became an instructor, she transitioned into a teaching role with us. She quickly worked her way up to a management position with Superior. She has since gone on to fly for Endeavor Air, with the eventual goal of working for Delta Air Lines.”
What’s New at School?
Superior recently became VA-approved for noncollegiate programs, which allows any eligible veteran to use VA benefits
to pay for flight training beyond the private pilot license.
The school has a growing fleet of newer Cessna 172s equipped with advanced avionics, as well as the Diamond DA-42 for multi-engine training. Once students become certificated pilots, the school’s entire Cessna fleet is available to rent. Anyone who joins the Superior Flying Club becomes eligible for discounted rates on instruction and aircraft.
“Top flight school in the state of Georgia, with a diverse group of students. Being an instructor here challenges you to learn more. Also, exceptionally good management who cares about their employees. We had immaculately maintained aircraft. When planes went down, it was fixed without causing disruption to the operation. We always had support from our sister school in Florida. Overall, my experience at SFS was enjoyable and challenging in a good way. ” — Manny M.
“A flight school is a place to showcase the passion for the magic of flight, and Superior Flight School is a platform to elevate your passion to make it a reality! ” — Julian
“Superior Flight School is a very welcoming and supportive environment for both students and employees. My time at Superior has been a positive, successful experience through my training as a student pilot all the way to my multi-engine instructor rating.”— Alexis L.