Chickens in the library? Expect the unexpected at West Cobb Regional Library (WCRL): raising backyard chickens, listening to concerts, honing your chess skills, meeting a Cobb County K-9 officer or gathering with neighbors to discuss favorite book genres.
Programs at WCRL are informative and fun. We connect people to information and to one another.
Wednesday’s Family Chess Night invites family and friends, novice and skilled players, to join in, starting at 5:30 p.m.
Branch Manager Jennifer Wells’ Thursday Craft Club sessions, from 10 a.m. to noon, help new crafters get started with crocheting and knitting, and regulars bring their weaving, calligraphy and needlework projects from home. Circulation assistant Marjorie Strother leads Drop-in Quilting Meetups at WCRL every Saturday this month, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Information assistant and retired adult services librarian Angie Bozeman leads our monthly Fourth Monday Book Discussion. The group discusses a wide variety of titles. The selection for Aug. 28 at 6:30 p.m. is the thriller “Anywhere You Run” by Wanda M. Morris of Atlanta.
Youth services assistant Kayleigh Haskin hosts a Dungeons & Dragons group for ages 12-17 of all skill levels to discover the world of D&D Tuesdays, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Participants will run one-shot sessions and short campaigns. The Pokemon Club for ages 6-12 meets each Monday, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Every month, WCRL holds Veterans Coffee and Connections meetups, where socializing is combined with help with Veterans Affairs (VA) claims and new VA technology information. This month’s meeting is Aug. 15 at 10 a.m.
Recently, a patron who returned to the west Cobb area after moving out of state commented on his visit to WCRL, saying, “This isn’t the library I remember from when I was a kid!” He’s not wrong.
The library is located at 1750 Dennis Kemp Lane, Kennesaw, 770-528-4699.
– Lee Goldberg is an adult services librarian. When not at the library, she is rescuing pets in need or working in the garden while listening to e-audiobooks.
@ the Library
Kemp Memorial Library
4029 Due West Road, Marietta, 770-528-2527
- Project Linus Blanket Circle, second Tuesday of each month, 1 p.m. Knitters and crocheters join neighbors in making blankets for children served by Project Linus.
- Cooking Club, fourth Thursday of each month, 1 p.m. Bring a dish to share with the group in a fun and relaxed environment. The theme for Aug. 24 is fruit bar sundaes.
North Cobb Regional Library
3535 Old 41 Highway, Kennesaw, 770-801-5320
- The Art Experience, Aug. 8-9, 6 p.m. A two-day program, led by Leslie Robb of the South Cobb Arts Alliance, in which adults will explore paint-related mediums. Register at cobbcat.org.
- Adults with Special Needs Meetup, every Thursday in August, 10:30 a.m. The adults and caregivers will engage in activities such as reading, singing, games and more.
- The Lit Squad, A Walking Book Club for Busy Adults, meets at trails in the Acworth-Kennesaw area on the first and third Tuesday of each month, 6:30 p.m. RSVP at cobbcat.org for meetup details.
1100 Powder Springs Road, Marietta, 770-528-2522
- African American Book Discussion, second Monday of each month, 6:30 p.m. The selection for Aug. 14 is “Black Cake” by Charmaine Wilkerson.